Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My First Photography Job










Taking pictures has always been my favorite hobby since high school. And it grew more when I took up Advertising in College and Photography is one of our subjects. But during that time, digital is not popular yet. But I'd say that, before, it takes more talent to take photos than today using digital plus the magic of Photoshop. I admit that digital SLR (single-lens reflex) is more flexible, more creativity and more freedom when taking photos. Plus, again, the wonders of photoshop. But during my days (which makes me feel old, yay!)...these additional tools are not available. And yet, you can produce amazing photos. I don't exactly know how I'd feel about professional photographers today using all kinds of "magic" and enhancements to make their photos look great. I know it's a great advantage and I am considering to use it too. But then, how would you really judge a great photograph?
Well, i was watching this program on TV last night called PICTURE THIS. And it's a competition of amateur photographers. They were given different subjects and it's up to them how to interpret them in a photo. Of course most of them use "special effects" thru photoshop. Like the one contestant, her original shot is gloomy and dead...but thru photoshop, it made the picture very vibrant and beautiful! So how would you judge that? Is that really a good picture? Is she really a great photographer? Hmmm....you tell me.
But I'd say if you're doing commercial photography, photoshop is a MUST. If you'll do it as a job like covering events such as wedding, I'd say magic tricks is very helpful. If you want to sell your business, do it. But when it comes to competition, I'd say, it's best if the pictures are "untouched"....That's when you will determine who's got the "good eye"...who's more creative and who's studying their lessons very well.
Here is my first official photo job....it's technically "untouched". Because I have no photoshop, though I will and must have it, ha! The Lafrinere family(from our congregation)asked me to do their family portrait in the beach. I edited some using Windows photo gallery, etc...just the common thing that comes with any computer. But no photoshop. I am pleased whatsoever. They are the most wonderful models I'd say. No hesitations, they just do whatever I asked them to do, no divas hehe....And they are all beautiful!
So now I would probably take this seriously....more research, more practice, more advice from pros. Thanks to Jackie, ,my friend. For giving me tips. She's a pro and takes awesome photographs!
Enjoy....

4 comments:

Mama Lexy said...

WOW! These pics are amaaaazing! :) I wish we had a professional photographer in our area who didn't charge an arm and a leg for beach pics. They're beautiful.

And thanks for the comment :) I will definitely give her hugs... If I can get her to sit still long enough. Oy!

Jackie Beale said...

I think you did really great Irene! You can really see how comfortable they were with you and that is really important in making a great photograph :) I honestly don't consider myself a "Pro" yet but it definitly takes alot of practice and failure in order to succeed :)

greennotebook said...

I always admire "untouched" photos, that has life, perspective and art.

'guess for me that's what photography is all about. to capture life on its artistic view.

I would consider enhanced photos as an art, but not as a photograph.

these are great shots!

innerspace said...

Thanks to all of you my friends! To Lexy, wish you're just close by so I could photograph you and your kid.
Thanks to Jackie for the tips and encouragement. Thanks to Aldwin for believing in my talent. :o)